[TowerTalk] 70-ft Debris Radius?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 70-ft Debris Radius?
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 04:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
>Hi Guys,
>
>Perhaps I'm missing something here.  By the quantity of recent posts on the
>subject of "did it / didn't it fall in a 70 or 700-ft radius"....I remain
>puzzled as to why these numbers are so all important.  Did anyone go out to
>the site with a tape measure?  Who would want to collect that information?
>What useful purpose does it serve anyone to know?

Hi Roger,

A couple of years ago when Washington County was considering drafting new
tower regulations affecting hams, the "anti-tower" group was trying to get
tower setbacks from the property line equal to the height of the tower.  The
hams, who wanted to put their towers closer to their property lines, took
the position that towers rarely fall the full distance equal to their height
(unless they are free-standing towers without guys).  This sort of data
helps to support the hams' position.  It could be argued that anything a
2000 foot tower does has little or nothing to do with what a ham tower will
do, but it is still data to support a more reasonable tower ordinance.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com