[TowerTalk] mast weight = a non issue!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] mast weight = a non issue!
From: K4OJ@aol.com (K4OJ@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 10:00:13 -0400 (EDT)
SO lemme see, 2 1/16 versus 2" OD, that 1/16" is a thirysecond on each side
of center - as in the amount it is off when it touches the side of the
housing....excuse me - how thick is a bicycle playing card?

I think you engineering types are a lil too retentive....no I am not saying
that it is not important to have a well engineered system - anyone who has
ever seen our station knows that ain't where I come from - a new height to
the term OVER ENGINEERED has been achieved here!

ANd heah, Hawaiian guy - on the Ham series of rotors there are either 96 or
138 ball bearings in those rotor's races....you can bust my ballls but I
doubt the weight of an antenna system will bust those!  You obviously are
perfect and if I were to check the plumb on your tower and level of your
rotor shelf it would be perfect.....I doubt it.....not as a personal attack
but as a REAL WORLD REALITY!  You gotta know about that, it is the real world
where you actually use wrenches and wear climbing belts.

The "fact" that things aren't perfectly plumb is not due to poor workmanship,
or a cavalier "amatuer" attitude.  I am talking about real life versus line
drawings and calculations....people do NOT deliberately install things outta
plumb, au contraire - we all have our lilttle bubble vials and are trying to
get things right on.

Perfection is almost never attained, but I think you will find that that
doesn't mean a lot of us have stopped striving for it.....and the realist,
those of us who just accept the realities of the world know that there are
all kinds of grays out there and almost NO blacks or whites!

An irregularity in your rotating system installation is probably gonna
happen....sure make it as small as possible - but DON'T ADD TO YOUR SYSTEMS
BURDEN BY FORCING IT TO DO SOMETHING IT DOESN'T HAVE TO - like work against a
pinned mast!

Have a good weekend, tomorrow I got a rotor/mast/beam to put up wx
allowing....really.

k4oj