[TowerTalk] Powerline Pole Guy Support

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Powerline Pole Guy Support
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 13:13:35 -0400
Hi again gang,

This time I come to you in all seriousness.  I believe there is a goldmine
of good knowledge and experience out there in cyberland and this is a
serious subject that needs addressing.

Since I am not fortunate enough to live out in the "wide-open-spaces" I have
to make-do with a half-acre lot for stringing antennas.  Now, a very kind
next door neighbor has allowed me to use one of his trees as an end support
for a 160 meter dipole.  The only other support far enough away is a wooden
powerline pole in the front of my house at the curb.  The pole not only
caries very high voltage, but also telephone and cable wiring.

Now here's the question for your consideration:

Can I get away with using this pole to tie a 3/16th inch nylon guy rope to,
to hold up one end of my dipole about twenty-five feet above street level?
There most likely wouldn't be any dipole wire for perhaps ten feet of the
pole and I would secure the rope above the telephone and cable lines and
below the power lines taking good care to not come near any of that stuff.

Is this a legal NO NO?  Is this a safety nightmare?  After all, the cable
and telephone companies share the use of the pole.

Really guys... in all seriousness,....  is considering using the powerline
pole for this purpose stupid and I should quickly put out of my mind, or, is
it just another of those ... if no one says anything, go ahead and play dumb
and do it anyway?

All serious responses are entertained on the reflector for everyone's
enlightment.

Thanks,

Roger, K2JAS