[TowerTalk] How do u take down a tower?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How do u take down a tower?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 10:54:25 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-04-15 06:38:16 EDT, kmahler@visi.net (Kevin S. Mahler)
writes:

> The other day my wife and I were getting a milkshake at our favorite spot
>  when I noticed 70' of Rohn 25 that was obviously not being used.  The
tower
>  was mounted on a flat roof building and had rusty looking guys attached to
>  not so strong supports.
>
>  My question.  How do you dismatle a tower of questionable condition?  Is a
>  crane the only way?  Also if you have ever hired a crane for such work,
>  what is the going price for a crane.  Seems to me it would be outragious,
>  like $1500 for a few hours.  I may be low.

     Dismantling a used tower in questionable shape is THE MOST DANGEROUS
thing you can do when it comes to tower work.  Like John, W0UN, says, the
best thing to do may be to walk away from it; I've done it many times.

     If you want to take a closer look at the tower, inspect everything you
can carefully.  Push and pull on the guy wires; in fact, hang by them to see
if they'll hold your weight. Use temporary guys at good anchor points and
take it down with a ginpole per John's post.

     By the time you get a crane in there (about $600), you could have bought
new 25G AND avoided taking it down.

     Come to think of it, many of the tower accidents that I've heard about
were roof-mounted towers that either fell over or went through the roof
(really!).

73,  Steve  K7LXC