[TowerTalk] Mast safety

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast safety
From: bipi@worldnet.att.net (bipi@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 10:12:11 -0700
wf3h wrote:

> Here's a different one. Friend has a 2 meter antenna which needs to be
> replaced. antenna is at top of mast...about 15' up the mast. to reach it,
> steps have been built on the mast about 3/4 of the way up. mast is 2"
> chrome-moly. wind was brisk today so didnt climb up to get the
> antenna...any comments on the situation?
>
> --

It is a pretty straight-forward statics calculation to determine the
safety of climbing a mast...the trick is knowing for sure what the
material is.  You should also note any flaws such as holes drilled
through the mast that could dramatically weaken it.  You should never
climb anything you don't trust, either by engineering calculations or by
just common sense.  I'm comfortable in climbing mine!

73 de Mike
K7PI