[TowerTalk] Mast strengths

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast strengths
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 18:21:05 -0400 (EDT)
TowerTalkians --

     My question for y'all (I'm from South Snohomish County) has to do with
the relative yield strength of a 3 inch mast versus a 2 inch mast.  Let's
assume that they are the same material (4130 - 75,000 psi yield) and the same
wall thickness (0.250").  How much more load will the 3 inch take over the 2
inch at the same windspeed?  I'm not looking for a paper on this, I just want
an idea of the relative approximate difference.  Is it 20% more, 30% or what?

       Thanks!

73,  Steve  K7LXC