[TowerTalk] Backstays

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Backstays
From: k1vr@juno.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 16:21:47 EDT
In the massive storm of April 1, 1997, the third largest snowfall in the
history of the Boston area, I lost backstays on three TH6/TH7's.  Two on
one tower, and one on another.

Examination shows that the backstay wire had rusted through. The plated
u-bolts and saddles were also heading for the "rust to dust" stage of
life.

I am now contemplating a trip to Bliss Marine, to buy 1/8" stainless
steel guy wire.  This marine supplier also has a $20 device which uses a
socket wrench to tighten small nico-press style holders (for about 48
cents each) to hold the backstays in place.  The big crimping tool is
$120.

On the other hand, K1LZ is recommending that I use wire rope in a plastic
cover, with 54 cent plated u-bolts and saddles (small ones).

I recall that W1RR, a smart person in my judgment, has used dacron rope
for backstays, as well as Phillystran (on BIG booms).

The project is:  backstays for a 24' boom TH67/TH7.  What would you
recommend?

Fred Hopengarten  K1VR
617/259-0088
Six Willarch Road