[TowerTalk] Lightning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning
From: wiley@interaccess.com (Bill Gode)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 10:03:52 -0500
>Hey gang, lightning again.
>Had a hit on my Hustler G-6 (base at 88 feet).  Top alumn. tube is GONE.

I have a Hustler G-7 on my tower (G-7 base at 80 feet) - above HF ants.
Similar situation here...very basic grounding at the base with cables
at ground level going into shack 10 feet from the tower.  This tower
has been up over 20 years and my next-door neighbor has reported seeing
"numerous direct hits" over the years.  I *usually* disconnect the coax
from the HF antennas, but have 2M and 220 Mhz antennas connected full-time
to VHF radios.  Worst thing that ever happened: Blew out a Radio Shack
"Phone Line Intercom" one night during a particularly big Flash-Boom.

I've always felt that the G-7 acts as a lightning rod and has protected
my installation from major damage.  After 20 years, I feel it's more than
dumb luck!

73,

Bill, WA9NHQ