[TowerTalk] Rain Static vs Feed System

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rain Static vs Feed System
From: w5hvv@aeneas.net (Roderick M. Fitz-Randolph)
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 15:44:40 -0500
>I get the impression that the slow "put put" is encountered during
>periods of slow rain.  My thought was that charged drops made noise when
>they hit the directors on the beam and was more rapid as more drops came
>down.  During heavy rain the noise is more steady.
>
>Chuck, KE5FI
Chuck, I hear the charged rain drops on my 40-2CD at 140 feet quite loud
and it is different that the repetitive static build up and discharge that
causes the "put-put" being discussed in this thread.  I've heard it go from
about 4 or 5 "puts" per second to a frequency of 600-1000 "puts" per second
and the earlier message I read about a "screaming crescendo" is fairly
accurate and then it may stop suddenly or it may just taper off.  I've
noticed it more frequently on horizontal long wire antennas than on a beam
or vertical.

You're right about the charged drops making noise when the hit the radiator
of the beam (and possibly the parasitic elements, as well) but it isn't the
same charged cloud phenomena that I believe the individuals spinning the
thread are talking about.

73,  Rod  W5HVV