[TowerTalk] CATV Hardline connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline connectors
From: blckhole@ripco.com (Keith Morehouse - W9RM)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 10:12:15 -0500

--

I disagree.

It's true that these connectors are not designed for high power but I
use several different sizes of CATV hardline with commercial connectors
from Gilbert Engineering.  I've been dumping "full legal power" through
these connectors for quite a while, through 50 MHz, with no failures or
problems.  Of course, I also have the commercial cable prep tools and
used great care in assembling the connectors.

I've run high power in both matched AND mis-matched conditions.  What
part of the connector are you concerned with ?  The only place I can see
that may cause a problem is the compression fitting that captivates the
center conductor.  The rest of them are quite "beefy".  However, as I
stated before, no problems, yet !

The connectors themselves are inexpensive.  MUCH less then a 1/2" or
7/8" Andrew Corp Heliax connector.  The cable prep tools are a bit
costly but if you continue to use the same diameter hardline throughout
your career, the cost amortizes quickly.

PROBE ELECTRONICS 100 Higgins Road, Park Ridge IL 60068 USA
Keith J. Morehouse /  W9RM  / Society of Midwest Contesters
847-696-2828  FAX: 847-698-2045  e-mail: blckhole@ripco.com