[TowerTalk] CATV Hardline connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] CATV Hardline connectors
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 17:09:11 -0400
I disagree.  Of course, I'm running only 1.5kw RTTY output, not 10kw or
more. :)

If you stick with the PIN connectors that are specifically made for your
cable (ie. just having a 3/4 inch connector for 3/4 inch cable is not be
good enough!...make sure it's made for your brand and model ex:  Times T10
or Times TX10, or Commscope ?)  They arent all exactly the same so make
sure you look up the number in the connector manufacturers catalog to make
sure it's compatible.

Also, as I stated in my previous post, do not use CATV N Connectors.  CATV
N's are NOT designed to handle power and they are much smaller (to match
the 75 ohm impedance).  I'd still be surprised if someone blew one up
legally, but it's not worth the risk, and they are much more expensive than
my alternative.  Use our normal 50 ohm long-body "B" N connector screwed
onto the end of the Pin connector and make sure you use a depth gauge to
get the pin depth correct.  If you assemble it correctly and cleanly, I'd
almost guarantee you'd blow up your RG213 jumper before you blow up the
hardline connector.  However, if you dont use the coring tool or if you
leave some crud on the center before inserting the connector, all bets are
off.

I've got several of these feedlines in service for over 2 years now with
absolutely no problems, both 3/4 and 7/8" Times T10,  both jacketed/flooded
and jacketed/armoured/flooded types.  I've got them run 140' underground
direct buried to my current tower and then up to the termination point in
one solid run.

There are a few potential problems with the old copper pipe methods:
1)dissimilar metals corrosion potential, 2) big impedance bumps, 3) high
potential for failure due to unclean installations (nicked center
conductors, shavings from using a saw, poor solder joints if soldered to
center conductor or improperly fitted friction fittings( such as pressed on
UHF barrels), etc.) and probably the highest potential is H2O invasion if
ANY part of your waterproofing is the least bit compromised.

I'm certainly not saying the copper pipe methods dont work, I'm just saying
that your risk factor increases substantially...especially if used outdoors
and your installation methods arent perfect.

73, Tyler K3MM

ai7b@teleport.com on 06/24/97 10:26:07 AM