[TowerTalk] aluminum Moxon rectangle

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] aluminum Moxon rectangle
From: cebik@utkux.utcc.utk.edu (L. B. Cebik)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 09:01:15 -0400 (EDT)
I have just posted some notes on the all-aluminum Moxon rectangle with
which I have been experimenting.  It is simple to build and may fulfill a
need for some with space restrictions.  Essentially, it provides 2-element
Yagi gain with 3-element F-B (or better) with a natural 50-ohm feed, a
super shallow SWR curve, at 12'8" width and 4'7" front-to-back dimensions
for 10 meters.  You could put 10 and 15 meter models back to back on a 13'
boom, but they are not good for nesting and need space for stacking.

My thanks to Tom, N6BT, of Force 12 for supplying some radius corners to
speed my construction work, but the rainy June we have had delayed testing
and adjustment until yesterday--making it too late to build one for the
Field Day 10-meter station.  Or is it too late. . .?

This version supplants the wire test-bed model I made for the
Communications Quarterly article on Moxon rectangles back in 95.  With its
closed ends and rounded corners (rounding optional), the antenna is also
aesthetically pleasing.  It will not compete with the long Yagis, but the
Moxon rectangle is a pretty neat antenna within its own niche in
antenna-world.

Incidentally, Les Moxon likes F-B with a broad frontal lobe so he can
reverse his own rectangle by changing feed and reflector tuning lines
without needing a rotator.  The aluminum job is optimised to need only a
feed line, but needs turning help--but is light enough to use the
Armstrong method.

Hope the notes are useful to someone.

-73-

LB, W4RNL

L. B. Cebik, W4RNL         /\  /\     *   /  /    /    (Off)(423) 974-7215
1434 High Mesa Drive      /  \/  \/\     ----/\---     (Hm) (423) 938-6335
Knoxville, Tennessee     /\   \   \ \   /  / || /      (FAX)(423) 974-3509
37938-4443     USA      /  \   \   \ \       ||              cebik@utk.edu