[TowerTalk] Best Homeowners Insurance for Hams?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best Homeowners Insurance for Hams?
From: k6bz@c-zone.net (G. Boyd)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 00:03:40 +0100
Nelson P. Moyer, Ph.D. wrote:

> I read the fine print in my State Farm Homeowner's Extra policy and discovered
> they exclude "artificially induced" power surge damage to "chips, capacitors,
> transistors, tubes, etc. That doesn't make me very happy, considering the
> amount of consumer electronics and ham gear in my house.
>
> What companies cover replacement costs of equipment damaged by lightning
> induced power surges or direct strikes? I'm looking to change companies
> immediately.
>
> Nelson
> KU0A
>
> --
               http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Last month one of my towers took a direct hit from lightning.  The ONLY
damage was a 486 computer which was completely wiped out because I had
failed to protect the phone line going to the modem.  My homeowner's
coverage is also through State Farm and they paid the entire replacement
amount minus the homeowner's deductable--no hassle.  Presented the
receipts and got a check same day.

Jerry
K6BZ