[TowerTalk] Best Homeowners Insurance for Hams?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Best Homeowners Insurance for Hams?
From: albraun@socketis.net (Alan Braun)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 97 00:05:20
In <c=US%a=_%p=SLR%l=TXSLREXC-970722220319Z-1752@txslrexc.tx.slr.com>, on
07/22/97
   at 05:03 PM, "Harper, David" <HARPERD@TX.SLR.com> said:

>>----------
>>I read the fine print in my State Farm Homeowner's Extra policy and
>>discovered
>>they exclude "artificially induced" power surge damage to "chips, capacitors,
><snip>

>Okay, I admit that I know nothing of insurance matters, but I wouldn't
>think that a lightning surge would be considered "artificially induced".
> Lightning is about as "natural" as it gets!

State Farm has a reputation for such silliness.  I had a bunch of trouble
with them once when one of their insureds ran into my car and trashed it.
I would never do business with them.

Mine is with American Family.  They have an extra-cost rider (I think mine
was about $30 a year for $6000 in coverage) to deal with such occurrences.
Haven't had to use it yet though so I don't know how well it pays.  Actually
if you want to be sure you're covered for such events probably the ARRL's
policy, having been written specifically for hams, would be the best bet.

* Alan Braun MD, NS0B/V31EV *Internet: albraun@socketis.net       *
* Jefferson City, MO        *Packet: NS0B@N0LBA.#cemo.mo.usa.noam *