[TowerTalk] KT34XA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] KT34XA
From: KJ6Y@aol.com (KJ6Y@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 21:21:24 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-26 19:55:59 EDT, jhumet@mhv.net (Joe Humet) writes:

<< I seem to be having a problem with my KT34XA. The swr went up on all
 bands so I took it down off the tower to check it out. I don't see
 anything wrong. All the element specs look to be ok. I have check the
 connections from the balum to the driven and thats good to.
 Everything was workin fine till we had a ice storm back in Apirl
 and one of the driven elements got bent a bit. I have strighten it out
 but the swr has not changed. Now i'm lost. HELP !! Any ideas please.
 I remember someone on here a few months ago saying something about
 taken ohms readings of the elements but I don't remember who is was
 or what he said.
 Tnx for reading this & 73   Joe  K2DS

Joe, Chech the connections at the linear loading and capcitor  straps. They
have a tendency to grt loose and corroded underneath the nut and washed.
Loosen them up, clean them with a small file or steel wool, repenetrox and
tighten.  you should also check the plastic capacitor caps.  Water may have
gotten inside and produce a path.  Loosen them off the tubing while your
doing the connections anfd look for water residue.  I have repaired many of
the KT-34's and that is the problem 99% of the time.
Good luck.
Skip, KJ6Y
Communications Service Co.
http://members.aol.com/kj6y/skip.html.

Check out my WEB site and let me know what you think