[TowerTalk] Other wet stuff

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Other wet stuff
From: pelliott@flash.net (Paul M. Elliott)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 08:01:00 -0400
Radio Works and a few other places sell a product called "Stuff" that's a
dielectric compound about the consistency of toothpaste.  You squeeze it
into the connector to fill the voids and keep water out -- in addition to
the normal external weatherproofing measures.  You apply it, tighten
everything, and wipe off the excess before you apply Coax-Seal, Scotch 88,
etc.  Seems to work well.

73 - Paul N3GPU

----------
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
> Date: Thursday, July 31, 1997 10:07 PM
>
> The following cautionary tale from a long-time 100-watter who just
> graduated to relative QRO last spring:
>
> The weatherproofing practices that work fine at 100 watts just won't cut
it
> at QRO.  Within the last 2 weeks I've had to fix two connector problems
in
> my HF antenna system.  In both cases, there was tangible water inside the
> connector.  Now, I've noticed this before, at lower power, but without
> measurable ill effect.  But in these latest cases, the water was
> accompanied by visible evidence of arcing -- sooty deposits -- and a
> shorted reading on my ohmmeter.  In one case, a barrel connector, the
soot
> was readily visible, and once I cleaned it out the connector was fine.
In