[TowerTalk] Gap Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gap Vertical
From: w4zw@juno.com (Jon E Hamlet)
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 22:27:23 -0400
I can highly recommend the Cushcraft R-7 or the HyGain DX-77.  I've used
both and they are outstanding performers, especially if you can get them
1/2 wavelength off the ground.  They are excellent antennas at only 1/4
wavelength up which you can get with a Radio Shack push-up mast.

I used the R-7 from Moscow at 150' on top of my apartment building and
cracked most pile ups on the first call with 100 watts.   I managed WAZ
on 4 bands, and almost 289 countries in only three years of operating.
On 40 and 30, it was outstanding.  They are 1/2 wave antennas and have a
corresponding low take off angle which is a great DX antenna, especially
on 40 and 30.  The only drawbacks are the higher QRN levels which are
characteristic with verticals, and somewhat narrow bandwidth on 40 and 20
(especially the Cushcraft).

They are quite rugged as well, and have held up in the icing and winds in
Moscow and in the high winds I have here on the Florida coast.

I've heard mixed reviews about the GAP.  It seems as many love them as
hate them.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, Florida