[TowerTalk] Radio Shack remote-reading wattmeter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radio Shack remote-reading wattmeter
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 08:17:20 -0600 (MDT)

>It has average and peak modes -- no peak hold as far as I can tell.
>
>As I do not have another peak reading meter, I can't offer any comments on
>accuracy in this mode. In average mode, it agrees with my Bird 43.
>
>Rolfe, W1VC

Rolfe,

I have seen a lot of interest over the last few days on the
Radio Shack units.  I purchased two of them about a month
ago and was quite disappointed.  Both were very poor on
power calibration (and similar!),  reading about 25 watts on
a carrier when both the 781 and the Bird 43 were reading
100 watts.  But they could have been recalibrated, I guess.
But both seemed to perform poorly on CW with erratic
readings due to improper time constants in their integration
circuitry.

The review in QST was not very favorable and I just wanted
to add my thoughts as a bit of a caveat.  My experience led
me to the conclusion that I should build my power meters
myself.

73  John  W0UN