[TowerTalk] M^2 40M3L pse help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] M^2 40M3L pse help
From: ik0hbn@isa.it (( Sante ) IK0HBN)
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:24:52 +0200
Hi Towertalkians.
I have a big trouble with a M^2 40M3L, a 3 el. yagi for 40 meter that uses
rods for linear loading.
The antenna is not mine, but as on vacation in the south i would use in
next SARTG RTTY contest this weekend. It was used by me last year on the
same contest and since then, the antenna exibited elevated ROS when
rotating. This left us expecting for an intermittent poor connection. The
owner of this huge monster at 103 Ft is not very active on the band so when
this year I went to test again the antenna, the ROS has became infinite and
not depending from turning. I am not a climber at all, so we had found a
guy who climbed the tower to see what had happened.
Here the result:
coax, a 180 ft of 1/2 hardline was proved with a dummy load up and it
seemed to stay well
the guy has noted somthing strange to the wire that connect the driver and
from his explanation I understood that it would be a balun...isn't so?
Well, I could like to know if this antenna uses a balun and how is the ratio
1:1, 1:2 ect.
My friend has an HY-GAIN balun with a 1:1 ratio, so if it would fit
electrically, we could try to fix it replacing with this new one waiting
for the spare one from CA.
If you own such antenna, do you know what are, if any, the part more
subjected to failure?
My friend has reduced the manual at few pages very ruined, but from the few
sheets survived it's clear the date in which it was printed: 10/3/91.
So antenna seems to be aged a little...any modification avaible? any spare
part to replace....such upgrades...and something like this?
I know...it would seem hot south has melted my brain, but as usually not
having a beam for 40, I would like to fix it and enjoy for the time of my
vacation.
Oh, I forgot, ROS is infinite and nothing changes modifing the frequency of
RTX.
Thank you....Sante ..
--
                                  \\||//
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT BY:         (.)(.)