[TowerTalk] "anodized" aluminum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] "anodized" aluminum
From: gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU (George T. Daughters)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 09:21:33 +0008
hi again,

i was interested to hear from force-12 that they sometimes anodize
antennas.  tom made it clear that it is a labor-intensive process!

> I personally have used steel wool as well as Scotchbrite scouring pads,
> obtainable in most paint supply places.

i like scotchbrite, but not steel wool.  boat owners have learned
that, while steel wool is a very effective physical cleaning medium,
it can leave teensy bits of steel embedded in the surface of what
appears to be clean, which then oxidize (i.e. rust) leaving nasty
reddish brown stains, which then have to be scrubbed off (no! not
with steel wool the second time! i've learned!)

i'm sure the same thing would happen on an aluminum antenna, but i
doubt that the quantity left behind would cause any "dissimilar
metals" electrolysis problems.

finally, i have no problem with making an antenna look "like new"
when it's put back up.  i've "restored" a few myself, but it isn't
necessary electrically... they sure do look  good though.  but a
couple of years later... dull gray, bird poop, etc... sigh

73,
George T. Daughters, K6GT