[TowerTalk] new ssv tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] new ssv tower
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 08:15:16 -0500
At 07:42 PM 8/27/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Here's the problem......... I would like to assemble these to the mast on
>the ground, I plan on using a 10' Rohn mast. The a3ws will go at the top of
>the mast, and the th-7 will go 4' up from the bottom. I am going to build a
>wooden jig to hold the mast up temporarily while the antennas are assembled
>on it.  What I would like to do is while the crane is here, to have him lift
>the whole shooting match up to the top of the tower and drop it right in,
>and all I would have to do is to bolt the mast into the thrust bearing and
>the t2x rotator.
>
>I have met with the crane company to show them exactly what needs to be
>done, and like myself he couldn't come up with a good answer on how to
>disconnect the crane's ball/hook from the top of the mast, without climbing
>the mast. Me, I definitely don't have the nads to climb the mast! :)
>
>How the heck do I get the antennas to the top with the crane, and disconnect
>the cable after????????????
>
>I know some one of you guys on the reflector can come up with a real slick
>idea, so have at it!
>
>Going to be a real first class install when it's done, going to try and take
>some digital pictures for the reflectorees.
>
>Thanks,
>Scott
>KA1CLX

Scott -  This is really easy.  W0HLU taught me this one.  He had 80 foot
towers and hired a crane to work on those things lifting hugh monoband 20
meter beams in place.

He had welded on the top of the mast...a ring about 10 to 15 inches in
diameter.  It was made out of rebar material if I remember correctly.  The
ring was verticle...of course.  The crane operator just had to snag the ring
with the hook...draw it up tight.  Roger would be on the tower and free the
rotor and the crane would lift it out and set it on the ground.  Roger would
scamper down...do the work he needed...and then the operator would hoist it
back up.  He would release the cable hook from the ring.  Worked slick.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net