[TowerTalk] Cable break on MARB 550 US Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cable break on MARB 550 US Tower
From: dick.green@valley.net ("Dick Green".)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 00:31:10 -0400
 I'm not an expert (I just got my MARB 770 Motorized crankup two days ago),
but I do know that U.S. Tower sells replacement cable sets. As far as I
know, they won't do it for you, but will strong urge you to have a qualified
expert do it. I believe there are several people kicking around the country
who do this kind of work. Also, U.S. Tower now sends out a fairly lengthy
list of companies/people who install and maintain their towers. There should
be one within a few hundred miles of you. Needless to say, the job will
probably cost you a bit. Unless you really know what you are doing, I would
advise you not to try to fix the cable yourself.

In the interest of helping the rest of us avoid this problem, could you
answer some questions? How old is your tower? Did you buy it new or used?
Did you lubricate the cables and/or pulleys? What configuration of
antenna(s) was at the top? How much did they weigh? Was the wind blowing?

On another subject, have you ever had any trouble getting the thing to
rotate from the base (i.e., binding)? What rotor are you using?

73, Dick, WC1M