[TowerTalk] Chrome moly/end caps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Chrome moly/end caps
From: kalepa@maui.net (Jonathan Starr)
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 21:17:04 -1000
I also was setting up my new 4130 mast today. Mine is 3"
dia. and 26' long. I needed to cap it, and rather than try
to weld it I got a short 3" galvanized pipe nipple and a
galvanized end cap. The nipple is a slip fit over the 3"
mechanical tubing, and by painting the end of the mast with
epoxy before sliding the nipple/cap on, it makes a nice
tight endseal. The same system will work with 2" mast.

For a lift ring, I put 3 3" u-bolts on a short piece of 3" x
5" angle and put a shackle through the 3" leg. Again, easier
than welding.

Aloha,

Jonathan KH6X
kalepa@maui.net