[TowerTalk] HyGain Discover2 Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HyGain Discover2 Antenna
From: babblarr@isu.edu (Larry R. Babb)
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 09:55:54 -0600
In many of the posts, there have been substantial mention about 2
element 40 meter beams.  My observation has been that they HyGain
Discover2 series has had no mention.  I just bought one of these
antennas, and I have been told that there is a design flaw in the
antenna that allows arcing if the owner uses QRO power.  I know that the
older version, 402BAS was prone to this problem.  I recently sold my
402BAS and I have replaced it with the newer Discover2 , also from
HyGain.  I have loved all my HyGain antennas, which have included
203BAS,153BAS,103BAS,105BAS, 402BAS, and now I have a TH6DXX which
performs very well for me.  I am stacking the Discover2 antenna 11 feet
above my TH6DXX and am getting ready for November Sweepstakes.  The
Discover2 has a 23 foot boom, and is substantially different than the
older 402BAS.  Are there things about the newer series that are needing
design changes?  I would appreciate any comments from this group
regarding the HyGain 40 meter beams.  Especially the newer generation.
I know the older version had problems, which is why I upgraded to the
Discover series.  Thanks