[TowerTalk] antenna height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] antenna height
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, W4AN)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 22:02:36 -0400 (EDT)
>You neglected to  mention that you are also located on a hill.
>With rolling ground, it is possible for VERY  HIGH  antennas
>to virtually cover ALL angles that the ionosphere will support.

I dont think that is possible.  What you get from a hilltop is lowering of
the lobe.  I have done a lot of analysis using N6BV's & K6STI's programs.  A
single antenna on a hill at a preferred height looks like a stack on flat
ground.  You dont get ALL angles, even with a stack.

I do, however, believe that K4ISV will want a low antenna when the spots get
good.  At the last peak, I had a TH6 at 35' and a TH7 at 85'.  On 10M to
Europe the lower antenna was as much as 20db better than the higher antenna.
When conditions went down, the difference went in favor of the high antenna.
Generally, if signals were better than S9, the lower antenna was far
superior.  I also observed this at N4RJ when Val lowered his 6/6 stack to
70' over 35'.  European runs were much better when he lowered this stack and
moved it closer to his shack.

My plan for 10M to Europe is hopefully the ability to have a choice of a
bunch of different arrival angles with a bunch of antenna choices.

73

Bill Fisher, W4AN (EX KM9P)
http://www.contesting.com