[TowerTalk] Beam Orientation to Wind

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Beam Orientation to Wind
From: k0gug@juno.com (Jerry K. Liley)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 09:03:27 -0500
On Sat, 11 Oct 1997 00:06:49 +0900 Tom Osborne <w7why@mail.coos.or.us>
writes:
>"Dick Green". wrote:
>>
>> I know I've seen this information somewhere, but I can't remember
>where
>> (maybe it was here.) For the typical HF Yagi, what orientation to
>the wind
>> produces the least stress on the beam and tower? In other words how
>should
>> the beam be pointed so that it "rides" the wind the best?
>>
>> 73, Dick, WC1M
>Hi Dick.  I don't have any scientific data to prove it, but my rotor
>is
>about shot, and when we get substancial winds, it always turns away
>from
>the wind.  The winter winds here always come from the south and when
>it
>blows, the antenna drifts to the north.  I would imagine that is the
>direction with the most wind resistance.  73
>Tom W7WHY
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Great discussion:
A free turning antenna will automatically  "WEATHERVANE",   but is that
necessarily the best for your beam?     I would be interested in hearing
this discussed in more detail.   My experience has been that the boom
never fails but the elements bend on break off.     Maybe this is because
the boom points into the wind and turn the elements broadside to the
wind and take the brunt of the winds force.     Could it be that even
though
the beam seeks the least resistance that the better direction would be
to turn the beam so that the elements face the wind  (they are weaker
than the boom).......My long booms are always supported with two supports
for each end from a "T" bar above the boom.    It is thus very strong.

What do you fellows with lots of towers and beams  (up for years)  have
say?

73,  Jerry Liley,   K0GUG,    Holts Summit,  Missouri.