[TowerTalk] Leveling a tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Leveling a tower
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:02:35 -0600
The technique I like to use is to hang two weights by braided string
or small diameter stranded wire from supports at 90 degrees apart,
one perpendicular to a guy wire.  Then I sit on the ground with my feet
in front of me and hands on the ground behind me and sight the tower
along the string or wire.  Old window weights work well for this duty!
Of course, this assumes you can sight the tower from such positions.

Another technique I have seen is to hang a plumb bob inside the tower,
suspended from the intersection of three small ropes tied from each leg
to the center of the opposite horizontal brace.  A weight is tied at the
end
of the string and another set of strings are tied from the legs to the
center of the opposite horizontal supports near the ground.

de  Tom  N4KG