[TowerTalk] Leveling a tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Leveling a tower
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 22:36:08 -0400 (EDT)
Let's put things in perspective. For the more common 50' to 70' tower, a
bubble level will suffice. With a bit of experience and persistence, such a
tower can be leveled, guys equalized adequately and tensioned safely without
a transit and other precision instrumentation.

When we installed 255' of Rohn 55 at K5XI, we used series dynamometers in
each guy set, tensioning to 10% of yield strength, +/-5%. We leveled at each
guy set using two transits, 90 degrees apart. Guy spacing, anchor and base
configurations were to Rohn's exact specifications.

Select the tools and methods appropriate for the job at hand and the safety
margins that make sense.

Tom, K5RC/7