[TowerTalk] The tower is up!!!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The tower is up!!!
From: sneader@ctenet.com (Scott Neader)
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 09:49:32 -0500
Wow!  The tower is finally up!!! [ insert heavy sigh ]

Assembled 64 feet of the Trylon self-supporter on the ground (8 8ft
sections) and left the largest section attached to the stub legs in the
concrete.  Crane from the local billboard company came at 7:30am to lift it
into place.  He didn't park close enough, so the first attempt failed and
had to put it back down on the ground!

Anyway, the second time it worked great and we bolted the top 64' to the
bottom 8ft with little problem (took a few bangs of the hammer get
everything to line up).

It sure is a beauty! (of course, my neighbor across the street probably
doesn't think so).  I only had one neighbor stop by during the
installation, and he was one that DIDN'T sign the petition.  He thinks I
should hang Christmas lights from it this year.  Great idea!!

Thanks to the many people that have helped me thru this process (at least
1.5 years), from deciding on the type of tower, to helping with the angry
neighbors.  I took a bunch of pictures (and even some video of the tower
going up) and hope to share the details and photos thru some web pages and
hopefully a story for any magazine that will take it. :-)

BTW, I decided to wait on the mast and thrust bearing.  The overwhelming
response was to get the right stuff shipped in, and install it later.

73 - Scott KA9FOX
 Scott Neader, LAN Administrator       Phone: 608-796-5032
 Century Telephone, La Crosse, WI        FAX: 608-796-5100
 sneader@centuryinter.net              Pager: 608-789-1493
 http://www.wi.centuryinter.net/wicent