[TowerTalk] Smaller Towers on City Lots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Smaller Towers on City Lots
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O. Hachadorian)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:41:57 EDT
On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 08:32:51 -0500 Lee Buller <k0wa@southwind.net>
writes:

>I wonder
>if we
>could start a discussion here as to what people are doing with limited
>space, shorter towers, and dense neighborhoods with neighbors and
>trees.
>I for one, have a fair antenna system, but I am wondering what others
>are
>doing out there as well.

Here's what I'm using:

Rohn FK2548 48' foldover (25' x 25' guying pattern) $1400
Single Guying Kit $300??
Philly Top guys $300??
Tailtwister rotor $500
Texas Towers 9' mast (UPS Shippable) $65
KT34XA $700
40-2CD $500
Half sloper (bent at the bottom) for 80/160 (knife switch)

The foldover tower is not as cost effective as it used to be
when I bought it 22 years ago.

It all fits into the back yard, which is about 35' x 75'.
Add $1500 for a TS-850 and SB-220, and you're in world
class competition for just over $5000. There are not many
hobbies as inexpensive as that.

You end up with a nice fat elevation pattern that's only about
4 dB down at even the very lowest angles from antennas 100' high.
Plus, you NEVER have to worry about your antenna being too high,
or worry about selecting the wrong antenna for a given band.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
K6LL@juno.com
Yuma, AZ