[TowerTalk] Smaller Towers on City Lots

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Smaller Towers on City Lots
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:23:51 -0500
Ok, I started this thread, so I will jump into it too.  You guys have to
promise not to laugh to loud.  Promise?  Well....OK....

I have 60 foot or 25G up in a yard of concrete, guyed to elevated guy posts
on a lot 75 by 150.  The elevated guy posts are schedule 40 - six inch pipe
that are ten feet long.  Three feet are buried in a hard of concrete and
then the pipe was filled with concrete.  Ears were welded on to allow type 8
bolts to be used to hold the turnbuckles.  It is guyed in two places.  It is
grounded quite well in good soil that has high conductance.  No lighting
strikes in three years.

Antennas are:  a TA-33 (Now is the time to snicker guys)at 60 feet and a 13
element two meter beam (for SSB/CW) at 68 feet.  The mast is 2" schedule 80
galvanized tubing from Rohn.  Rotor is a Ham IV.

Future:  I have rebuilt a TH6DXX but ran out of time to get it in the air.
Also, ran out of help to get it up in the air too.  All my tower guys are
moving away.  Ouch

Low Band Antennas:  80 and 40 meter Inverted - Vees with seperate feedlines.
An Inverted-L for 160 meters (130 foot of wire - 58 up verticle and the rest
to a tree) which loads quite nicely on 80 too.  Under the "L" I have 5
radials out in the yard of which one is bonded to the outside water spicket
which runs to all the copper in the house.  These radials are buried so the
XYL doesn't have to see them.  No choice.

I have nothing for the WARC bands.  Gotta do something about that.

I want to do the following ...  Install the TH6DXX.  Install a 6-meter beam.
Install a 40 meter rigid(?) dipole at 55 feet (Ihave some neat tubing to do
this althought it is heavy.  Will need to build a support for it) or install
a diamond loop on 40 meters.  I plan to in stall a receiving loop around the
property.  I have a wood privacy fence which I will place insulated stand
offs and run a loop or two around the property...or place posts at the
property corners and raise it up to 15 feet or so.

TVI:  None reported, but really haven't banged away on a contest with the
amp.  Kids and YL report some TVI, but they can live with it.  I want to try
one of those line isolators.  I've heard good reports about that.  Also,
need to rebuild the grounding system in the shack.  TV in the shack is
fairly clean at 800 watts.

OK, so I am not a big gun with a 160 foot tower and multiple antenna...but I
will take guest-op invitation to one of those kind of stations.

73
Lee
k0wa@southwind.net