[TowerTalk] Vertical-What wire to use for radials

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertical-What wire to use for radials
From: w7why@mail.coos.or.us (Tom Osborne)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:37:02 +0900
Ron Stordahl [N5IN] wrote:

> Waiting till the last minute, isn't that when the best antennas are put up?
>
> My question - what would be suitable for radials for my 80 meter Rohn 25 +
> tubing full size vertical?  Is there any problem with using
uninsulated copper?  Suc

> Ron N5IN

> Waiting till the last minute, isn't that when the best antennas are
> put up?
>
> My question - what would be suitable for radials for my 80 meter Rohn
> 25 + tubing full size vertical?  Is there any problem with using
> uninsulated copper?  Such as 20 ga?  I plan on a minimum of 64 1/4
> wave radials laid right on the ground.  I am counting on the grass
> covering them up next season.
>
> Ron N5IN

Hi Ron.. I have 3 40 meter verticals and a 160 meter inverted L.  I use
anything from electric fence wire to number 16 insulated electrical wire.
I found that in the summer, you can hit the garage sales, and pick up a
lot of wire there.  The galvanized wire has been out for about 10 years,
and it is starting to rust pretty badly.  I'm sure it doesn't work very
well any more.  Mine are all just laying on top of the ground as the back
side of the house is unoccupied brush.  I probably have close to 2 miles
of wire under the 4 antennas. Most of it is just scraps that I picked up
here and there.  Good luck and 73
Tom W7WHY