[TowerTalk] Coax switch and TNC problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax switch and TNC problem
From: dick.green@valley.net ("Dick Green".)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:53:42 -0400
It sounds like the switch's relay control voltage is momentarily appearing
on the TNC's chassis and/or signal ground when you turn the knob. The change
in potential between the supply and ground is probably causing the TNC's
chips to malfunction or reset. It should be causing a blown fuse in the
switch control box, but perhaps that fuse is a slo-blow or too highly rated
to blow during the brief interval as the switch is being turned.

Working back towards the tower, the control voltage must be travelling down
the shield of the 2-meter coax to the Kenwood's ground, and from there to
the TNC's ground. My guess would be that there is a brief mechanical short
in the control box switch that happens when you turn the shaft. Another
possibility is that you have the wiring incorrect between the control box
and the switch (e.g., control voltage and ground swapped, but I don't see
how the switch  could work in that case.

Note that the Ameritron switch will use the coax shield braid as a return to
ground if you do not connect a separate ground wire to the "G" terminal. If
you have the separate "G" wire, try disconnecting it at the control box. If
not, and you have a spare lead in the cable, try adding it.

If you can, borrow someone else's switch control box. If the problem goes
away, that's where your problem is. Otherwise, it's in the switch up the
tower. Hope this helps.

73, Dick, WC1M