[TowerTalk] MFJ 259 vice Autek RF analyst

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ 259 vice Autek RF analyst
From: tgold@panix.com (Anthony R. Gold)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 17:37:33 GMT
In message <2.2.32.19971025030731.0069efb0@pop3.liii.com> Len Schaier writes:
> I will be doing some experiments with antennas and transmission lines and am
> considering buying either the MFJ 259 or the Autek Analyst. My goal is to be
> able to measure SWR and the real and imaginary parts of a complex
> impedances. I primary interest is HF.
>
> I am interested in any comparisons or experiences with either device.

The MFJ will not measure impedance off-resonance, only a resonant
resistance.  The Autek allows one to measure Z, and then along with
VSWR (and a smidgin of common sense) to determine R and X in R+jX.
The smidgin is needed to determine whether X is positive or negative

Regards,
--
   Tony - G3SKR / W2TG                   email: tgold@panix.com