[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 - Antenna size

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 - Antenna size
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 21:05:47 -0800 (PST)
>Area is St. Louis County, Missouri - fully surrounded by 60-80 foot trees so
>very high wind should not be  a problem.
>
>I have Rohn 25G tower I want to put up at the end of my house.  I will put
>in whatever size concrete base is needed (how much?).  It will be bracketed
>to the house at 14 feet. and will be 2 sections plus the top section (29
feet).

>1. How much antenna (sq ft) can I put up without any guys being added?
>
> 2. How much if guys are added near the top (I don't really want to do
>this).  I have a TA33 and a TA36 (10.75 sq ft).
>
>3.  I would really like to put up the 36 and how much mast can I extend
>beyond the tower (probably "none" if not guyed, right)?
>
>Tnx, Jim

Hi Jim,

I have not seen an answer to this question yet.  I think you are very close
to the limit for 14 feet or so of Rohn 25 above the house bracket with the
36 installed on it.  I would not extend the height any with a taller mast.
I tend to like the 3 1/2 foot short base sections for the bottom since they
are easy to install and I would pour about a half yard of concrete around
it.  Make sure the bottom of the tower legs extend through the bottom of the
concrete base to allow water to drain out of the tower legs.  Also, make
sure the concrete extends above ground level for a couple of inches to keep
water from standing around the tower legs.  "Crown" the center of the
concrete to make the water will run off the base.

I know you don't want to hear this, but a set of guys at the top of the
tower would make the installation MUCH stronger.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com