[TowerTalk] Grounding Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Grounding Question
From: steve@austin.ibm.com (Steve Runyon WQ5G 512-838-7008)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 97 11:44:17 -0600
I have a question relating to station grounding... we are in the process
of setting up a ham radio club where I work, and we hope to be able to do
some contesting and DXing from the station. I have read a lot of helpful
notes here on grounding, but nothing that is similar to this station
layout.

The shack will be in a room located in a very large industrial
building with a very large concrete slab. The tower and HF antennas
will be a loooong way away - about 1400 feet away, hopefully at the
end of some good hardline!

I am about to turn in specs for the room, and want to include grounding.
What should we use for a shack RF ground - is a ground rod driven into the
concrete sufficient? It is probably 50 or 75 feet from the shack to the
outside of the building, so I am afraid that a ground rod outside the
bldg would not be very effective at HF.

Also, should we have a separate ground for lightning near the tower
or where the hardline enters the bldg?

Any help appreciated!
Tnx and 73 de Steve WQ5G