[TowerTalk] Roof-peak mounting of Rohn 25G?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Roof-peak mounting of Rohn 25G?
From: bat@grumman.com (Pat Masterson)
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 12:42:13 -0500 (EST)
 I have a one story ranch house. The peak of the roof is about 20' above
ground. At the peak stands a 15' straight brand-x tower section, with a
TH3 on top. About 40' of altitude in all. I have 320 countries confirmed
frim NY with this, so its fairly effective.
 To mount the tower section, I determined the roof pitch to be 30
degrees. I took a 4' long 4X4 beam, and sliced it lenghtwise at 30
degrees, giveing me 2 long pieces. These are laid in parallel at the peak
so their top surfaces form a flat area. On this I bolt a 2x10" flat
board, which covers the peak line of the roof by an inch. There are 3 small
bolts sticking up from the flat board, over which I sit the tower section
legs. There are 4 guy wires going from the tower top out to the 4 roof
corners, where they are bolted in. Other than these 4 small holes, there
is no structure modification. The bottem of the tower has almost no
lateral force, so it needs not be bolted into the house.
 The setup might compress the shingles a little bit, but no leakage will
occur at the peak, because there's no place for water to collect. And the
4x4s sit across 4 roof joists.
 ALso, the whole setup is very portable. I moved it from my last house in
1989 and only had to fill in the 4 little roof holes. It has withstood
all the coastal storms in NY for over 15 years.
*  Pat Masterson  B38-01,  Northrop Grumman,     *  Ham:KE2LJ
*  Plant 1, South Oyster Bay Rd.,                *  Packet: KE2LJ@KC2FD.NY
*  Bethpage, NY 11714                            *  President Grumman Amateur
*  email: bat@grumman.com   Fone: 516-346-6316   *  Radio Club  WA2LQO