[TowerTalk] Yagi gain

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi gain
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 13:12:01 -0500
Hi LB,

Bravo!  Your latest critique in the "antenna gain spec wars" is another
stake in the heart of   self-serving commercial advertising and
marketing interests that capitalize on sophisticated technical
ignorance in order to enhance sales.

Someday we may live to see all antenna specifications derived on a
single standardized test range that is operated by a non-profit company
with un-biased testing done á-là Consumer's Reports. Then we can then
all sit back and laugh at the meaningless testimonials such as..."I
worked 100 countries with this antenna mounted in my attic and only
20-watts!" There will always be the unsophisticated and ignorant among
us for whom this kind of appeal has a special resonance. After all, who
ever said a good education came free?

We all pay our money and make our choices... and some will always chose
more wisely than others.  The people who narrowly only focus on the
absolute maximum gain numbers to the exclusion of every other
significant parameter, are perhaps the very same gullible types who
want to believe that "rf grease" [a mixture of chicken fat, Lubriplate,
Preparation-H and powdered titanium] can add at least .1-dbi (point
one) to a beams performance and that this is a worthwhile endeavor. Dr.
Igore [pronounced Eye-Gore] Helfenschmaltz of the Liechtenstein Antenna
Gain and Coax Pre-Conditioning Laboratory stakes his reputation on it.

As always....thank you for inputting your considered opinion....
something I always look forward to reading here on TowerTalk. Now, how
about that breakfast you were going to buy me? ;-))

73,

Roger, K2JAS
Morganville, NJ
Just about half-way between NYC and Philly!