[TowerTalk] Force 12: rivets, hardware

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12: rivets, hardware
From: ldennis@mediaone.net (ldennis@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1997 13:17:16 -0500
I've tried to contact Tom at Force 12 about this, several times on e-mail and
once by phone since October 14, and have gotten one e-mail in return from Tom
that said that they have had some server problems, but no answers to my
questions.

So--I am asking the group.

I have a C-3/D that was installed in May of 1996 on a crank-up tower.  Tower is
always nested except when operating, at which time it may be at from 30 to 50
feet about ground.  QTH is very windy and is about 200' from the ocean.

Rivets:  The rivet holes holding the bracket for the 20m radiator element to
the boom have elongated in the vertical dimension allowing the element to
rotate in the vertical plane.  The elongation is small at this time, but I can
physically move the element perhaps + or - 10 degrees.  It is likely to get
worse--especially through the winter season (Massachusetts).  It appears that
the rivets need to be drilled out and the mounting bracket replaced.  One
should note that this bracket came from the factory already riveted to the
boom.  The other major mounting bracket for the 20m parasitic element seems to
be fine.

Hardware:  Just about all the hardware has corroded--including u-bolts, bolts,
washers and nuts.  Should I expect that the Force 12 hardware should be able to
last more than one season--even in a salty environment?

I'd appreciate any comments from people with similar problems and/or hints on
remedies, and will post a summary if appropriate.  Thank you.

Dennis, W1UF

L. Dennis Shapiro

</color>        ldennis@alum.mit.edu