[TowerTalk] Force 12: rivets, hardware

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Force 12: rivets, hardware
From: dick@libelle.com (Dick Flanagan)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:20:48 -0800
At 9:36 AM -0800 11/18/97, Joe E. Mesh wrote:
>Tom what is your feeling on pinning elements to boom, pinning booms to
>masts and pinning the mast to the rotator?

I'm not Tom, so all I can offer is one data point.

I just took delivery of my new Orion OR-2800 rotor.  This is the strongest
rotor this side of a prop pitch.  It is a worm drive, weighs a ton and is
built like a tank.  There instructions state:

"IMPORTANT NOTE:
The mast clamps provided with the positioner, when properly tightened, will
not allow the mast to slip under normal weather variations.  However,
during extreme wind conditions a large antenna or array can generate
extreme torque forces on the mast.  In this instance, a small amount of
mast slip is possible and even desireable.  Slip may actually help prevent
serious damage to the antenna, tower, and/or positioner components.  For
this reason, DO NOT 'PIN' THE MAST TO THE POSITIONER. PINNING THE MAST WILL
VOID THE OR-2800 WARRANTY."
(Emphasis theirs)

YMMV.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/