[TowerTalk] RG-213 et al

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RG-213 et al
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:50:42 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 3 Dec 1997 RSOLOMON@systems.TEXTRON.COM wrote:

>      If I recall, I used to fold the braid back over the black outer
>      covering and screw on the PL-259. Worked quite well in most
>      applications. As far as impedance continuity, I would be more

I used to do this as well, as a new ham.  And I would HIGHLY recommend
it...to people with whom I compete in contests!  It WILL deteriorate and
cause problems over time.  Do it the right way...tin the braid, cut it
with a tubing cutter, use silver plated connectors for easier solder
flow, screw the connector body over the insulation for mechanical
integrity.  Don't take shortcuts, you will regret it later.

Jim  N6IG