[TowerTalk] tower safety

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] tower safety
From: leewical@lava.net (LEE ROGER WICAL)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 19:14:07 -0500
ED,K4SB:

TNX FOR SHARING. I THINK WE ALL CAN LEARN A SERIOUS LESSON FROM THE DETAILS
OF YOUR ORDEAL.

HOPE ALL IS WELL.

ALOHA, LEE KH6BZF

.At 04:49 AM 12/10/97 -0800, K4SB wrote:
>This one's on me. For the first time in 44 years, I left a serious
>amount of blood on a tower,
>and as a result, have a badly broken left paw which required immediate
>surgery.
>
>Was stepping in a 2" 1/8" wall aluminum mast to the regular 12'
>molybdenum ( finally got
>a spell checker which knows how to spell it ) mast. Aluminum part
>telescopes over a solid
>machined 30" piece of T6. Using come-along to jack moly be damned up.
>
>Even had muffler clamps around both to prevent either or both from
>falling through rotor
>plate. Needed to lower the thing a little so reached in to release the
>come-along safety latch
>( the main latch was supposed to still hold it) Well, the main failed,
>and the masts dropped
>about 8' until the muffler clamp stopped it by smashing into the back of
>my left hand.
>
>Worst part was it trapped my arm and hand, nightfall was coming, temp
>low 40s, and no
>ground crew. Best part is the cable from the come-along remained hooked
>to the bottom
>of the mast. Finally had presence of mind to check and see if come-along
>would raise
>mast. It did. I hate to think what would have happened otherwise. By now
>chilled to the bone, arterial bleeding ( did I mention I threw up a
>couple of times?) and 75' in the air. Managed to climb down, go to
>emergency room, and so forth.
>
>Stupid? yes! On several points. ( and I'd rather not read about them )
>
>Don't let this happen to you! Never thought much about it, but don't
>EVER put your hands into a tower with an unsecured mass. ( 110 pounds )
>
>73
>
>Ed
>

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

        "It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one...
than to have an opportunity...and not be prepared!"
        "...Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet
soup?"
        ALOHA & MAHALO,
                L.R.Wical