[TowerTalk] Climbing alone ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing alone ?
From: n9tu@qsl.net (Jerry Fray)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 01:56:58 -0500
NW9G wrote:

> Gosh, I didn't know there was any alternative.  Never been on a tower with
> another climber before.  Hmmmm. I have always managed by myself.  I don't
> think I could get any volunteers in these parts to climb 100 ft.  These
> 2 meter junkies would laugh at me...Steve

Hmmmmmmm....perhaps you might want to reconsider this line of reasoning
Steve. For several reasons: 1) YOu're right, those 2M "junkies" will
laugh at you, when they come in the EMT unit to scrap you off the tower
or the base. 2) My particular tower climbing "Elmer" has 30 yrs
experience climbing towers, installing them AND antennas. He is 80 yrs
young, a 2M "junkie" and ALWAYS with me when I am not on the ground. 3)
Most of the folks who have "volunteered" with tower parties have been
two meter techies here. They make GREAT ground crew, are willing to
listen to instructions, ready to help at a drop of the hat. 4) If we ALL
had attitudes like yours who would "Elmer" us in the proper methods of
tower work????????
--
-73-
Jerry N9TU