[TowerTalk] Simple Dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Simple Dipoles
From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller)
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 08:35:01 -0600
At 06:52 PM 12/15/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Lee...
>
>       One last final update on the fat Vee elements.  I finally
>got the element positioned the way I want it....also while I was doing
>this I noticed that one leg had gotten caught on itself.  Basically
>I just removed the tangle, and tied the end off to a tree
>that was further out from the tower.
>
>       The final result is about 430 kHz of 2:1 bandwidth.  Resonant
>frequency is 3.660.  I've got a little tunning to do since I want the
>elements to be resonant at 3.680 for the 2-el beam.
>
>       NEC2 says it takes a wire that is about 2.5 feet in diamater to
>get the same bandwith that I'm seeing.  I believe LB said that the
>wire diamater would appear to be half the spacing between the two parallel
>wires.
>
>       73's
>       --Lee - KT4ZX

Lee...

Thanks for the information.  I've seen that done before, but always was
skeptical about the antenna performance.  Does it radiate?  Also, I've seen
guys who have built similar antennas use fishing weights on the lower wire
to keep it from flipping over in the wind.  They use several ounces of lead
weights along the antenna.

Thanks for the info.  I am gonna build one of these...for both 80 and 40.

Lee
k0wa@southwind.net