[TowerTalk] Climbing Belt with Leg straps??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing Belt with Leg straps??
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 10:48:14 EST
In a message dated 97-12-17 21:46:04 EST, rmidgett@edge.net writes:

> All I've ever used for tower work is a repelling harness. I use a dual
>  system of caribeaners & lanyard so that I can stay attached to the tower &
>  position my lanyard (or vice-versa) as necessary. I have fallen while
>  climbing rock using the same harness; the fall arrest capabilities are
there.

>  Tower climbing belts are heavy, cumbersome, uncomfortable & expensive; not
>  to mention less safe than a harness because they only go around the waist.
>  If a climber incorporates the full body harness that goes with the
>  "climbing belt" to eliminate the possibility of falling out of the belt,
>  the climber has also added more weight to the system which adds to the
>  fatigue of being on a tower for several hours. Rapelling gear is made of
>  double stitched nylon similar to seat belt material which is much lighter &
>  stronger than its leather counterpart. This is why people who climb rocks
>  literally thousands of feet above the ground developed & entrust their
>  lives to these products. If a climber wants the added protection of a full
>  body harness (in addition to a repelling harness), the nylon climbers
>  harness is the way to go.

    I disagree with you.

    I have spent several years as a mountain and rock climber so I am
intimately familiar with the hardware and software involved. Actually this is
how I got started in the tower climbing business.

     I have also spent the last ten years as a professional tower climber and
the owner of a couple of commercial tower services companies.

     Any piece of safety equipment is highly specialized and is designed for a
specific application. The BEST safety equipment for a job are products
designed for THAT application. While the basic premise (wearer safety) is the
same, it is the subtle differences that detract from their relative
suitability.

    My opinion is that a climbing harness is about 60% appropriate for tower
work while a tower climbing belt or harness is 100% appropriate. Will the
climbing harness work? Yes. Would I use or recommend one for tower work? No.

     They are also subject to different standards - UIAA for climbing
equipment and OSHA for tower equipment. It's an 'apples and oranges'
discussion.

    There is a company that advertises safety equipment in ham magazines that
is selling a fall-arrest harness designed for window washing. Will it work?
Well, sort of but it's still a compromise and another 60% solution.

    As a non-professional tower owner, you can use (or not use) anything you
want. I've seen enough poor techniques, equipment and installations to last me
a lifetime and I would just prefer that people do things correctly and safely.
When I was your age (33), I did things that when I look back I consider myself
lucky that they turned out okay. As your age, wisdom and sense of mortality
increase, you may also change your mind.

    Anyone interested in a reprint of my 3-part series on safety equipment
that appeared in my "Up The Tower" column in CQ Contest magazine can send a
buck to TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA, 98072.

73 and climb safely,  Steve   K7LXC