[TowerTalk] Antenna Wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Wire
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:15:28 EST

<< I like insulated! No scientific reason!

 My reasons:

 1. Normal house wiring ( as I use) is usually cheaper. For the goofing I do
 no need in spending alot of buck to play with something you seen in a book.

 2. The antennas get to be a little shorter, only by a few percent, but
 sometimes that few percent is what it takes to make it fit! Besides thta
 look at the wire you save for the next one...(there we go back to the cheap
 thing)

Where's W0UN when you need him?

Is rain and snow static the result of ionized particles discharging against
the antenna or is it just an ionized field passing in close proximitiy to the
antenna? I've heard both theories offered. If the truth is the later, then
insulated wire will not make any difference.

You must take the velocity factor of the insulation into consideration. I once
built a huge 10 meter Sterba Curtain from insulated wire. It resonated at 27
Mhz.

Indoor insulated wire will stretch and the jacket will deterioriate in the
sunlight and elements.

Choose wisely!

Looking forward to a great '98!!!!

Tom, K5RC/7