[TowerTalk] Crank-up cable lube Part 2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-up cable lube Part 2
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:28:35 EST
     This is some additional information relating to my previous post on the
cable lubricant.

     First, the cost of 2 cans of spray PreLube 6 delivered in the US is
$20.00 ($5 for s/h). Orders can be taken via email or check to the TOWER TECH
po box. Sorry, no credit cards at this time.

    Second, I got a message from a well-known TowerTalkian who forwarded me
the text of an email that he got from US Towers. It stated that US Tower
cables didn't need lubricating since they were galvanized.

      This is not correct. The fact that they're galvanized has nothing to do
with the reliable operation of the cable. The galvanizing is only a protective
coating against rust and other corrosion. What we have with crank-up towers
are moving metal parts; specifically the cable moving over the pulleys, the
rotating pulleys and the movement of the strands of the cable working against
each other as the tower is hoisted or lowered. Lubricating the cables and
pulleys reduces friction and protects these critical parts whether they're
galvanized or stainless steel.

     In addition, cables are injected with lubricants between the strands
during manufacturing. We've all seen old cables and they're very dry - the
original lubricant and died up or washed out. Twice annual applications of a
suitable lubricant like PreLube 6 to crank-up cables and pulleys is the best
way to keep the tower in good, reliable working order.

73,  Steve  K7LXC