[TowerTalk] Crank-up cable lube Part 2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-up cable lube Part 2
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 10:47:53 EST
In a message dated 98-01-07 00:13:58 EST, dick.green@tpk.net writes:

>  This summer, when I asked the president of U.S. Tower about lubricating the
> cables, he gave me the company line pretty much as you describe -- i.e.,
it's
> not necessary (same goes for the pulleys.) Now you come along with what
> appear to be some very solid arguments about why that shouldn't be so.
What's
> a fellow to do? Listen to the manufacturer, or listen to you? Well, I know
> what your answer will be, but it would be much more helpful if you contacted
> U.S. Tower, as a professional installer, and discussed the issue with them.
> If your arguments convince them, then maybe they'll change their
> recommendation. If they have some information about the cables that you do
> not, then perhaps you will change yours. Either way, it would be nice if we
> weren't left in a position where we have to choose between conflicting
advice
> from a manufacturer and an installer.

    Fair question. Let me say that my comments are based on discussions with
an engineer that works for a wire rope cable manufacturer. I put a lot of
credence in his comments. I make a point of talking directly to the
manufacturer if I have any questions. I have an excellent working relationship
with most significant suppliers of amateur tower and antenna vendors including
Rohn, Preformed, Phillystran, etc. and call them directly to get answers. If I
had a question for example on the motor used in a crank-up system, I'd talk to
the motor manufacturer directly. Finding application discrepancies isn't
common but I do run across them.

    Yes, I think you should listen to the manufacturer. In this case, the
CABLE manufacturer. Remember that US Towers just assembles all the parts -
they don't manufacture everything themselves.

    IMO asking a crank-up manufacturer about the individual components is like
asking the cable manufacturer to comment on crank-up towers - both are experts
for their specific products but not on everything. Do they understand all of
the manufacturing subtleties of ALL of the materials that go into their
products? Probably not.

    On the plus side, I will contact Bruce Kopitar, KB6JAH, at US Towers and
ask him about his position. Regardless of his comments, I would still
encourage crank-up tower owners to perform periodic PM that includes
lubricating the cables and pulleys with a suitable material.

    Let me make a comment about tower manufacturers in general: they are
insurance driven enterprises. That is, insurance costs are their biggest
expense and they have huge risk exposures relating to their products. With
that in mind, they will do whatever it takes to minimize their liabilities.
Did you ever notice that Rohn ads in the ham magazines are ONLY concerned with
safety? Why do you think that the US Towers policy on cable and pulley
replacement is every three years? It's so that they can avoid liability in
case of an accident or failure. "You say your crank-up cable broke? Did you
replace it every three years? No? SORRY - it's not our problem because you
didn't follow the factory maintenance schedule."

73,   Steve  K7LXC