[TowerTalk] OT: Format and reply probs with my e-mail

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OT: Format and reply probs with my e-mail
From: dick.green@valley.net ("Dick Green".)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 14:19:25 -0500
Hi folks. Sorry to intrude with something that's sort-of off topic. This is
about problems with messages I'm sending through the reflector, so in that
sense it's very on-topic to me. If I've had a couple of complaints on two
different reflectors (including this one) that the lines in my messages are not
wrapping properly. The receivers say that each paragraph is one long line, and
they have to horizontally scroll to read them. I've gotten messages like this
myself, and they're a pain to read.

I'm using Microsoft Outlook Express. I have MIME format set, with text encoding
set to Quoted Printable (I think these are the defaults.) The other option is
to select UUENCODED text, which gives me the option of automatically inserting
a line wrap after a specified number of characters (e.g., 76.) Since MIME
doesn't have this option, I must assume that MIME sends each paragraph as one
long line, expecting the receiving software to wrap the lines according to the
display window size. That way, the windows used by the sender and receiver do
not have to be the same size. I'd rather not use UUENCODED format, because if
my message is displayed by someone with a window size less than my wrap
parameter, the text will be ragged.

Are others having problems reading my messages, too? Can anyone shed some light
on this formatting issue?

By the way, I've also had a complaint from K7LXC himself that he cannot just
hit reply to may messages. His e-mail package doesn't seem to be able to
process my return address, so he has to cut and paste from the source. Anybody
else having that problem?

Finally, you've probably noticed the quote marks around my name. This seems to
happen only when my messages go through certain reflectors. I have been unable
to make any configuration change to Outlook Express to get rid of the quotes,
and have never gotten any help on the Outlook Express reflector (no quotes
around my name there, of course.) Anybody know anything about this?

73, Dick, WC1M