[TowerTalk] pipe masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] pipe masts
From: kb3aug@juno.com (Bill Hinkle)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:07:14 -0500
Frank, Your guy anchor?/flagpole will break right above or below the
coupler/reducer because when the pipe is threaded it removes a lot of
material. We made a flag pole where I use to work by welding tubing
together, stepped sizes over lapped. We raised it by drilling 2 holes
through the bottom about a foot apart and setting 2 pieces of channel
iron back to back in concrete. View from above, }O{. To raise it we tied
a rope to the top (there was a stop on the pipe so it could not go past
vertical) . 4 or 5 people lifted it and started walking it up while 4 or
5 pulled on the rope, not easy as the pole was 45 feet long. It's still
there. Bottom line: Your idea about  coupler/reducers won't cut the
mustard.

  73, Bill KB3AUG

  Riverton, WV